Monday, July 23, 2007

Volunteer Keeper Week 7

Next week I am definitely bringing a camera (or using Mike's) to help document the day. There were so many amazing photo ops today - I was totally bummed I didn't have a camera!

One little creature that I haven't mentioned in here yet (most people don't even know we have him at the zoo) is our little ringtail cat who lives in the Hamadryas nighthouse. He is a cute little thing that pokes his head out of his box every now and then when we're cleaning. Being a nocturnal animal, we don't see him much. I have been including somewhat generic pics in here, which I will do for the ringtail also, until I take some of my own next weekend.



Above: Ringtail Cat (Bassariscus astutus)

The Ringtail is a mammal belonging to the racoon family and is native to North America. They are sometimes mistakenly referred to as civet cats, which in fact, is a totally different species. Ringtail Cats are omnivorous, feeding on fruits, berries, insects, lizards, small rodents, and some bird species. In the wild, the Ringtail Cat must watch out for owls, coyotes, racoons and bobcats, who all have a taste for the little guys. Luckily, our little boy is safe in his zoo home. These animals live largely solitary lives in the wild, so he is perfectly content by himself. He is also very timid, and shy - natural traits of Ringtail Cats.

Also, just a note that I will be elaborating on in MUCH greater detail to come...WYLAND IS COMING TO THE ZOO ON OCTOBER 22!! Of course I, (along with Mike) will be part of the event. He is going to have painting workshops for the kids and if all goes according to plan, I'll be working with Wyland on that. We are trying to time it so the stingrays and sharks (Living Exhibits) will be there early for Wyland's appearance. Anyway so, what exciting news for the Zoo!!!



NOTES:

Identifying the Red Ruffed Lemurs:
3 boys: ear tag colors: Red, Green Blue
3 girls: ear tag colors: Pink, Yellow and no tag
Otters:
they prefer capelin to the generic bass type fish that commissary usually provides them with. Hasani ate every peice of fish that I offered him! :-)

No comments: