Monday, October 8, 2007

Volunteer Keeper Week 18

Well, I pretty much took care of lemur island all on my own today, the red ruffs are really starting to recognize and trust me, which I find incredibly gratifying. Not just for the fact that they are highly endangered animals and I'm lucky to even be working with them, but because I have truly (and somewhat surprisingly) come to care a great deal for each one of them. They all have such distinct personalities and roles to play in their social group. I'm starting to gain a profuound understanding of the connection these keepers have with their animals, and I only see them once a week! Imagine being there every day - they would be like my family - my kids! I don't think I'd be able to go home without wondering and worrying how each one was doing while I was gone. It's definitely more than a job. I can clearly see that caring for animals in this capacity becomes not only your life's work, but your passion as well. And truly - only certain people are cut out for it. Wether or not I am one of them remains to be seen, but at this point in the journey, and more than ever, I'm absolutely in love with the idea that I could be.

Made a RRL screensaver when I got home. Yeah, I get a little obsessed ;-)


click for larger version

Other exciting and notable events of the day:

Congrats mama Kima!!! She gave birth to a little baby otter girl on Wednesday, October 3rd!!! Biko and Hasasni are on exhibit now by themselves (mama and baby are in the nighthouse/den) so dad and son had better behave themselves. I can't wait to see the new pup's progress!

REUNITED!! Kelly the spider monkey had surgery last week to remove an ovarian tumor. All went well, and as of yesterday she was ready to get back to the island and to her species-mate, Debbie. We went up to AC, got her in the crate and transported her home. There were a couple of tense moments at first, but Debbie ended up greeting Kelly with a big hug - literally, I'm not kidding, these two monkeys put their arms out, around each other, and hugged! It was freakin adorable and incredible to watch.

Didn't find this out until last night around 8 when I was already home, but apparently our salt water inhabiting, friendly finned visitors are back for the season. It hasn't been officially announced yet though, which is why I am not at liberty to divulge any more details at the present moment. In fact I've probably already said too much. All I can really say about it is...
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) I'm doing a happy dance :-) :-) :-) :-)

No comments: