Sunday, May 25, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend

Zoo attendance was higher than last year at this time because of this nice cool weather we've been having for the last couple of days. It really was a beautiful day to be outside.

This morning started out on the Baboon string with Debbie - otters all came in and shifted really well, Spock was actually in a good mood (he didn't display any threatening behavior) and the lemurs were awesome. Comet still needs to gain a couple of pounds so we really tried to get him to eat all of his buiscuits (understandably, they prefer bananas and other fruit to these "grainy" biscuits which are very high in nutrients and calories). This means feeding them by hand out on the island which is a lot of fun - I could hear the people across the lake at the picnic tables "ooooh"ing and "aw"ing and going, "look honey, she's feeding them!" It's actually quite funny. The girl lemurs were being especially obnoxious for some reason today, making it really difficult to hand feed the boys. They would chase them off and then look at me like, well, aren't you going to give me any? Brats. Even still, I just enjoy the hell out of these little animals so much - they are so amazing. I figure I've got enough pics of them on here though, so I didn't bring my camera along today. I did learn each Lemur's aquisition number however, which is good information to have (if you're into that sort of thing...).

Red Ruffed Lemur Info:

10566: Comet (red) father
10567: Moswalla (green)
10568: Mantabi (blue)
10569: Ankavia (yellow)
10570: Pia (pink) mother
10571: Catta (no tag)


When we got back from lunch, I ended up helping Amy on the Uco string, which now includes the two Fennec Foxes, Kotto and Mpoko - two girls that just recently came to the Phoenix Zoo. I actually discovered a tunnel that they made by stepping in it to mine and Amy's amusement as I was cleaning the windows of the exhibit. The public got a kick out of it too - they were at eye level with my feet. I had a shoe full of dirt and we found out that those Fennec Foxes are crafty little girls, trying to dig their way out of the exhibit. They are really adorable too:


No comments: