Sunday, September 9, 2007

Volunteer Keeper 14

Morning 6-6:45a.m.: Otters. The first thing I noticed was that Kima's stall was boarded up and made into a den since she is expected to give birth in the next two to three weeks. She will need to be separated from Biko and her son if/when this happens. First thing is to clean the exhibit while LeLani feeds a.m. diet. We do a quick cleaning of the nighthouse stalls then let them back out on exhibit with access to the first stall when we leave.

Morning 6:45-7:30a.m.: Cleaned Mandrill Exhibit, then Baboon. Hamadryas exhibit was a pain to clean today because their was a bunch of old browse in there that got everywhere. I had to spend a lot of extra time breaking down the branches so they would fit in the trash can. The added bonus? Many scorpions have been found scurrying about this area, I worked diligently to get out as soon as possible. While I do this, LeLani prepares diet for Mandrill and Baboon. Before we let them out of the night house and on to exhibit, we take the prepared food, which today consisted of grapes, lettuce, raisins and biscuits, spread that around the exhibit, then lock everything up and let them out. (While I was cleaning the exhibits, LeLani also medicated Spock and Wucaria).

Morning 7:30-9a.m.: We headed out to the islands to feed lemurs and spider monkeys their a.m. diets and clean. Actually, the new game plan which works out much better and "follows all the rules" is for both of us to go out and do lemur, have LeLani drop me back off at the dock while she goes to Spider, and I head back in the cart to pick up dirty dishes and wash them at commecary. By the time I'm done with that, I just go back to the dock and pick her up.



Quite possibly the absolute worst
photo ever captured of me, this was
taken back in July headed out to the
islands to feed the lemurs.


No comments: